- United Kingdom -- England -- East of England -- Cambridgeshire -- Cambridge
16 July 2018
Looking for bright, enthusiastic embedded engineer with Wi-Fi radio and low level MAC layer background to join our Radio Firmware Team to help us provide active technical support for a wide range of SCSC’s connectivity chips covering the phases leading to production and beyond.
The role involves doing the time critical front line hands-on customer support on our wide range of products covering preliminary quality analysis, reproducing of issues raised by various teams located world-wide in multiple defect management systems, working closely with developers and support teams to do quick response to reduce issues.
We are looking for an enthusiastic self-motivated engineer who could understand the basic architecture, design and implementation of radio firmware features across chips, understand the debug facilities and use a good understanding of MAC protocol to do the sniffer analysis to interpret the radio/low level aspects. A keen interest in wireless technology and the operation of radio frequency hardware is desirable.
The role will require you to attend and manage meetings with field support teams and relevant developers. The role is based in Cambridge, but will also involve working with our customers at their development sites outside the UK, so please expect up to 25% international travel.
• Be part of the front line support to constantly monitor issues reported by customers or test teams and triage them effectively to get good clarity for investigation
• Interact proactively with customers and test teams reporting issues to get enough details to define the problem and raise as internal bugs for investigation
• Develop a good understanding of the internal debug tools and do preliminary analysis based on the information provided
• Analyse, investigate and fix issues wherever possible
• Work closely with development teams and also other support teams to help us understand and investigate from wider perspective as applicable
• Develop customer relationships and understands customer needs
• Contribute towards the continuous development of the department’s processes
• Contribute actively in the improvement of retrieving low level debug information, analysing and presentation of data
• Contribute in writing technical investigation reports on specific issues
• Contribute to the writing of low level embedded code to exercise chip functionality
• Investigate real time radio issues and suggest performance improvements
• Constantly improve the debugging features and techniques
• Degree (or equivalent qualification) in maths/science/software/electronics
• Good understanding of ‘C’ programming language
• Good knowledge in Wi-Fi 802.11 protocols (MAC/PHY/Radio)
• Experience in using Wireshark sniffer tool and analysing sniffer logs
• Knowledge of a scripting language such as Python to develop debug tools
• Ability to “own” problems, make fixes and drive investigations to conclusion.
• Ability to make decisions (technical and program related) without supervision.
• Effective team player and good communicator
• Excellent problem solving ability and tenacity in finding root cause for complex issues with focus on delivering quick results
• Understanding of embedded debug techniques and tools
• Good understanding of analogue/digital and RF designs.
• Experience in using test equipment like litepoint/spectrum analysers for radio debug
• Competency in MATLAB and its use in a test environment
• Exposure to revision control systems (Git/Perforce)
• Exposure to Verilog and analog/digital simulations
• Exposure to Jenkins, ARM
• Relevant experience in customer support activities